What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by davebks »

No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden
and
Angels and Demons.

Both are pretty good.
Last edited by davebks on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

davebks wrote: Angels and Demon's.

Both are pretty good.
*Demons.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

MountainMedic wrote:

Both are pretty good.
*Demons.
Thank's! Your definately, the gratist!
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Right now, I've got a huge backlog of National Geographics I don't know I'll ever get through.

This is in the top of my queue. http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-World-Su ... illenbrand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eventually, I'll get around to reading The Bible - cover to cover, so I can beat so-called "Christians" over the head concerning their intolerant views towards other humans who aren't like them.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

49ersRule wrote:This is in the top of my queue.
If you like the idea of that one, try this: http://www.amazon.com/Harms-Way-Indiana ... +harms+way" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Story of the USS Indianapolis, the worst maritime disaster the US Navy ever had. Very compelling story.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
ctlee
14ers: 19  4 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ctlee »

"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand--about an Olympian turned bombardier in WWII. Not many people knew about Louis Zamperini, an extremely talented runner. His plane crashed over the Pacific and he and his pilot survived for 47 days only to be captured by the Japanese an sent to a POW camp. I've read lots of survival stories but this one boggled my mind. It's one thing to try to survive horrible conditions--it's another to try to do it while someone is beating you senseless. Inspirational does not even begin to describe this story. Also filled with lots of interesting info about the Air Corps in WWII. I'm sorry I put off reading this one for so long!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

Jim Davies wrote:
MountainMedic wrote:

Both are pretty good.
*Demons.
Thank's! Your definately, the gratist!
thx man i tri.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

ctlee wrote:"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand--about an Olympian turned bombardier in WWII. Not many people knew about Louis Zamperini, an extremely talented runner. His plane crashed over the Pacific and he and his pilot survived for 47 days only to be captured by the Japanese an sent to a POW camp. I've read lots of survival stories but this one boggled my mind. It's one thing to try to survive horrible conditions--it's another to try to do it while someone is beating you senseless. Inspirational does not even begin to describe this story. Also filled with lots of interesting info about the Air Corps in WWII. I'm sorry I put off reading this one for so long!
You and 49ers agree...
49ersRule wrote:This is in the top of my queue. http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-World-Su ... illenbrand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

highpilgrim wrote:
ctlee wrote:"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand--about an Olympian turned bombardier in WWII. Not many people knew about Louis Zamperini, an extremely talented runner. His plane crashed over the Pacific and he and his pilot survived for 47 days only to be captured by the Japanese an sent to a POW camp. I've read lots of survival stories but this one boggled my mind. It's one thing to try to survive horrible conditions--it's another to try to do it while someone is beating you senseless. Inspirational does not even begin to describe this story. Also filled with lots of interesting info about the Air Corps in WWII. I'm sorry I put off reading this one for so long!
You and 49ers agree...
49ersRule wrote:This is in the top of my queue. http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-World-Su ... illenbrand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like 49ers and I agree.
I have Unbroken. It is one of the most riveting reads I've had in a long time. Excellent, excellent story.
49ers, how much is it worth to ya? :wink: fishdude wants to read it - it'll likely go trans-Atlantic next month.
Make me a deal. How 'bout a winter alpine excursion of my choosing? :mrgreen:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

sunny1 wrote:Make me a deal. How 'bout a winter alpine excursion of my choosing?
Trade you a Red Feather lakes peak bagging excursion for one of those BIG :shock: DAYS that you are partial to. I swear you won't be disappointed in Red Feather. All the sloggy parts are gone, it's just you and the top of a "mountain". All the fun of route finding and scrambling is there though.

Back to books. These have probably already been mentioned but these are some good non-fiction ones:

Endurance

2 more for Fishdude:

Reeling in Russia

Cod: A Biography of the Fish that changed the world
ironman11
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ironman11 »

I am no counselor, but these two books should be required reading for a marriage license. You will be amazed, it will greatly change your relationships in your life and career. A must read for good management and communication.

1. Personality Plus
2. Your personality tree

Both books are by Francis Littauer
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Just finished a great book about computer hacking called "Ghost in the Wires" about a hacker named Kevin Mitnick - fascinating stuff.